Bernie City Hall
P.O. Box 605
Bernie, MO 63822
Bernie was established in 1892 with logging its primary industry. At one time, three sawmills were located in the swamps and woods east of town. Today, Bernie is home to several businesses and industries that include Ames True Temper, MFA Oil, MFA Agri Services, Bernie Farmers Fertilizer, First Community Bank, Fancy Farm Popcorn Company, Tanner Seed, Walker and Associates Home Health Care, BCT Manufacturing, BPS Telephone Company and Kennedy Machine Shop.
Bernie’s population as of the latest census is 1,777. The town government is comprised of a mayor and six aldermen, representing the city’s three wards. The school system in Bernie consists of an elementary school, junior high and high school. There are 14 churches located in the town.
Citizens of Bernie enjoy a beautiful city park with pavillions, a walking trail, tennis courts, a ball field and playground equipment. A second walking trail can be found behind the high school building. A stocked fishing pond is also available for residents only.
Murals painted on various businesses in town by local artist Bobby Whitehead have become quite an attraction. Also attracting a lot of attention is Treasure Seekers Antique Mall, a new business in Bernie specializing in antiques and crafts.
Bernie’s Industrial Park is home to Evans Sandblasting. The Park offers acreage for other businesses and industries wishing to locate to Stoddard County. The location offers easy access to Highway 25, the major transportation system that runs north and south through the county. Also calling Bernie “home” are various retail stores, a florist, convenience stores and a funeral home. Two doctors offices and an ambulance station are also located here.